The Centre for Public History cordially invites the public to join our group on Saturday, December 8, 2018 to mark the 77th anniversary of the opening of the Sajmiste (Fairgrounds) concentration camp for the deportation of the Jewish and Roma women and children.
The Zemun Jewish concentration camp, better known as the Sajmiste concentration camp, was opened in December of 1941 by the Nazi forces in Belgrade for the purpose of carrying out the ultimate destruction of the Jewish and Roma population of Belgrade and the occupied Serbia.
By May 1942, 6,400 Jews and 600 Roma would pass through this concentration camp. While the Roma were for the most part set free, almost all the Jews were murdered by gas in specially- equipped gas trucks. In the years that followed, the concentration camp was used to intern Serbian civilians from the territory of the Independent State of Croatia (NDH) as well as members of the Resistance.
The group will meet at 11:00 AM in front of “The English Book” building, at No. 29, Staro Sajmiste Street. Our visit will take us from there to the location that used to be the site of the Sajmiste concentration camp.
This public forum will be hosted by Dr. Milovan Pisarri, historian and the Centre for Public History Director.
The forum is open to the public and is free of charge.